I love my crock pot. It helps me create delicious and healthy food for my family. It’s great for having friends over, a simple family meal…and this weekend, my Mother In Law (whom I love dearly….I’m very blessed by her) shared with me a fun and easy recipe for dessert.
Yes, on Sunday we invited some friends and their children over. They have 7 children, we have 3 and I’ll be honest, I had not been cooking or cleaning pretty much all week. Well, alone anyway, my Mother In Law is here and she has been treating us to dinners out and helping me with cooking in. It’s been amazing…having her here…and today, well, I’m crying now because I have to take her to the airport in a few hours.
OK, back to the recipe. So, that meant – 10 children and 5 adults….and no, I was not going to spend my Sunday in the kitchen. My husband had something yummy to put on the grill, we made our favorite mashed potatoes and corn on the cob (that takes me 45 minutes to make both)….but, what a bout dessert? How on earth do you create a yummy dessert for under $10 (cause that was what I had in my purse) for 15 people!!??
Well, it’s not terribly healthy…but, it is wonderfully delicious!
- 2 cans of apple pie filling
- 1 box of butter pecan cake mix
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 jar of caramel (the kind you would use for ice cream topping
- Pour your cans of apple pie filling into your crock pot
- Pour the jar of caramel over your apple pie filling (do not stir)
- Top those two with the butter pecan cake mix (again, do not stir)
- cut up your stick of butter and just lay it around the top of the butter pecan cake mix
- Cook on high in your crock pot for two hours
- Top with ice cream (or not)
I have some cute ice cream glasses we purchased at the dollar store….a long time ago. Those are very cute to serve ANYTHING in…but, I also have some punch glasses my mother gave me. I serve everything in those – ice cream, dessert, even yogurt….it just makes food taste good when you present it in fun ways and it’s another (very small way) you can share your love and fun with your friends and family
Linking with Big Family